This building was probably one of the largest structures built in Fort Worth in 1895. It spanned across the entire block along 5th Street between Main and Houston. Entrances were on all three streets. Originally, the building had a brick facade with cast iron and wood columns, and was constructed for The Fair Department Store. In 1933, R.E. Cox & Co. moved in and remodeled the store by placing stucco over the brick. The stucco was scored with joints to appear like stone. The remodeling project was done by Fort Worth Architect, Wiley G. Clarkson. In 1946, Cox's moved to the Fort Worth Club Building and The Lerner Shops moved in and remodeled the building again; this time with an Art Deco facade. An angled wall was constructed on Houston Street and a sun screen was placed at the roof line. All of the windows were closed, and the entire facade was stuccoed over again. The base of the building was painted black and the upper two floors were painted white. This remodeling project was also designed by Wiley G. Clarkson. The site of the building is now the AC Hotel.
Victorian/Art Deco Remodeling
Wiley G. Clarkson, Fort Worth