In 1949, the Fort Worth Independent School District erected several frame buildings on this site to serve as an elementary school for the growing neighborhood, just south of Carswell Air Force Base. In 1954, the district hired Hubert Hammond Crane to design this two story International Styled school. The original building was "L" shaped and clad with red brick with an overhanging roof. The most notable feature of the building is the location of the boiler room chimney, which is adjacent to the school's main entry. The chimney is clad in cast concrete and constrasts with the red brick. Like many Mid-Century Modern school buildings, the entrance canopies extend all the way to the passenger drop-off zones on the street. In 1989, an activities building was added south of the west wing of the building, and in 2001, a new cafeteria and kitchen were added to connect this strucutre to the main building. At the same time, a 15 classrom addition was built on the east side of the main building. The current configuration is now a "J" shape. The original name of the school was Ridglea West Elementary and it was renamed in 1976 for Luella Merrett, the school's first principal.