This Fort Worth Independent School District campus sits on a prominent location at the intersection of El Campo Avenue and Camp Bowie Blvd. It contains three buildings, all constructed in different years and in different styles.
The oldest building, located closest to Camp Bowie Blvd., was constructed in 1909 by the Arlington Heights Independent School District. When it opened, its address was 5000 Camp Bowie Blvd. When the Arlington Heights area was annexed by the City of Fort Worth, the district was absorbed into the Fort Worth Independent School District. It was designed by Sanguinet & Staats and is a 2 story, "T" shaped plan. When originally constructed, its name was Arlington Heights Public School and the building housed all grades, but in 1922, it became an elementary school. It was the renamed Arlington Heights Elementary School. Records indicate that it may have been constructed by the Texas Building Company. The facades feature two colors of brick. Most of the building is a yellow brick with a maroon brick used at the base, in bands, and in a decorative pattern at various locations. A combination arched and rectangular openings are used for the school's windows and doors. Many of the windows have been infilled either with panels or brick.
The 1922 building was the first Arlington Heights High School and its first address was 5100 Camp Bowie, as El Campo did not extend in front of the campus as it does now. There were six seniors in the Class of 1923. It served as a high school until 1927 when W.C. Stripling High School was constructed. After 1927, it became a junior high school, and then in 1954 became part of the elementary school. The structure features brick pilasters between the basement and the cornice. Between the pilasters are tall windows, many of which have been infilled with brick. This structure was designed by Clarkson and Gaines and was constructed by Harry B. Friedman.
The 1954 building connected the two school buildings and was designed by Wyatt C. Hedrick, Sanguinet & Staats successor. It was built by Charles H. Haws. With this 6 classroom addition, the entire complex became an elementary school. In recent years, this collection of buildings have become a school for mentally challenged students for grades 1 through 12, and has been renamed Boulevard Heights Transition Center.
Rear of 1909 Building