Walnut Exchange Building
1411 W. Bowie Street - 1931; numerous additions
In 1930-31 Southwestern Bell Telephone Company constructed three exchange buildings in Fort Worth for the Walunt, Pershing, and Market exchanges. All three buildings were designed by Irvin Ray Timlin, a staff architect and were all in the Zig-zag Moderne style. Also, all three buildings have been significantly expanded over the years. The Walnut Exchange building features pilasters topped with terra cotta capitals. Decorative brickwork was placed between the windows. The entrance on W. Bowie is marked with terra cotta detailing. The building was expanded to the north several times, and these additions were harmonious with the original building. In the 1960's, a third floor was added, by removing the terra cotta on the parapet and by adding a standing seam masard roof.