Travis Avenue Baptist Church
3041 Travis Avenue - 1924; 1937; 1952; 1959
The church first built on the east side of Travis Avenue in 1913. By 1924, the congregation had outgrown their wood building and they constructed their first brick sanctuary on the northeast corner of Travis Avenue and W. Berry Street. Later additions were made to the complex by expanding to the north in 1937 and 1952. By 1957, the church had outgrown their facilities again, and construction began on a Georgian Revival sanctuary across Travis Avenue. It opened in 1959 and was designed by Preston M. Geren. It was constructed by Childs Construction Co. The sanctuary features red brick with white cast stone trim. The entrance on Berry Street is marked by a large pedimented portico and a bell tower with a steeple. The steeple is illuminated at night. The church is also the tallest structure in the area and the steeple can be seen from many parts of Fort Worth's South Side. The earlier buildings in the complex remain as education buildings, yet the church has also expanded to include property on Hemphill Street. Across Berry, the church purchased an old Safeway store in 1987 and has converted that building into an education annex.