Architecture in Fort Worth

Texas Christian University

2800 S. University Drive - 1911 to present - (RTHL)


Texas Christian University began in Fort Worth in 1869.  Founders Addison and Randolph Clark, who were brothers,  named the college the Fort Worth Male and Female Seminary.  In 1873, the school moved to Thorp Spring, Texas (northwest of Granbury) and the name was changed to Ad-Ran Male and Female College.  In 1895, another move was made to Waco, Texas (90 miles south of Fort Worth) and the name was again changed in 1902 to its current name of Texas Christian University.  In 1910, the main building of the Waco campus burned and afterwards a group of Fort Worth citizens offered the university $200,000 and a 50 acre site on the southwest side of the city on a new street called Forest Park Blvd. (Now University Drive).  The offer was accepted and the campus opened for classes on September 16, 1911.  Fort Worth Architects Waller & Field designed the Master Plan for the campus and the original three buildings that opened in 1911.  Subsequent buildings fronting on University Drive were constructed according to the Master Plan in the Classical Revival Style.  These buildings were constructed from 1914 through 1925 in a semi-circular pattern on the west side of University Drive.  Today, the effects of the plan can be seen in the layout of structures fronting the thoroughfare.  Originally, all of the buildings had flat roofs.  Over time, sloped roofs were introduced in the building designs.  In 1925, the first building was built on the east side of University.  It was the Mary Couts Burnett Library.  Since that time, the university has expanded to the east, west, and south of the early buildings constructed along University Drive.  Several major building programs have been implemented over the school's history, with many of the campus buildings designed by world renowned architects. 

 

Below are the individual campus buildings with addresses and descriptions:

Amon G. Carter Stadium - 2850 Stadium Dr. - 1930; 1947; 1948; 1956; 2012
Bailey Building - 3000 Bellaire Dr. N. - 1914; c.1958
Ballet & Modern Dance Building - 3000 S. University Dr. - 1921
Annie Richardson Bass Building - 2800 W. Bowie - 1969
Brown-Lupton Student Center - 2855 Main Dr. - 1953; 1963; DEMOLISHED JULY 2008
Brown-Lupton University Union - 2901 Stadium Dr. - 2008
Mary Couts Burnett Library - 2905 S. University Dr. - 1927; c.1960; 1981
Tom Brown-Pete Wright Residential - 3140 Bellaire Dr. N. - 1998
Clark Hall - 2950 S. University Dr. - 1958
Colby Hall - 3200 Main Dr. - 1957
Robert Carr Chapel - 2855 S. University Dr. - 1952
Milton Daniel Hall - 3205 Main Dr. - 1956
Foster Hall - 3100 Main Dr. - 1941
Grandmarc at Westberry Place - Berry St. between Waits & Greene - 2006 (UC)
Jarvis Hall - 2820 S. University Dr. - 1911; restored 2008
Dee J. Kelley Alumni & Visitors Center - 2920 Stadium Dr. - 1997
Ed Landreth Hall - 2800 S. University Dr. - 1948
Leibrock Village - 2900 Block of McCart Ave. - 2001
Lupton Stadium - 2700 W. Berry St. - 2002
Moncrief Hall - 3305 Main Dr. - 1988
J.M. Moudy Visual Arts Bldg. - 2805 S. University Dr. - 1980
Betsy and Steve Palko Hall - 3000 Bellaire Dr. N. - 2007
Dave Reed Hall - 2850 S. University Dr. - 1911; c.1960
Reese-Jones Hall - 2901 W. Lowden St. - 2014
Richardson Physical Sciences Bldg. -  2955 S. University Dr. - 1970
Cyrus K. & Ann C. Rickel Building - 3005 Stadium Dr. - 1968; 2003
Rockefeller Bldg. for Ranch Management Bldg. - 2800 Stadium Dr. - 1992
Dan Rogers Hall - 2900 Lubbock -
M.E. Sadler Hall - 2900 S. University Dr. - 1960
Scharbauer Hall - 2855 Main Dr. - 2009
Ed and Rae Schollmeier Arena - 2900 Stadium Dr. - 1961; 2015

Sherley Hall - 3205 W. Cantey St. - 1956
Steve and Sarah Smith Entrepeneurs Hall - 2900 Lubbock Ave. - 2002
Charles Tandy Hall - 2900 Lubbock - 1989
TCU Bookstore - 2950 W. Berry St. - University & Berry - 2008
Old TCU Bookstore - 2950 W. Berry St. - 1960's; 1997 (DESTROYED BY FIRE - MARCH 28, 2006)
Tucker Technology Center - 2840 W. Bowie - 2002
Waits Hall - 3105 W. Cantey St. - 1945
Walsh Center for Performing Arts - 2800 S. University Dr. - 1998
Winton-Scott Hall for Science - 2955 S. University Dr. - 1949