Beginning in 1899 as a Sunday School held in private homes, Tabernacle Cumberland Presbyterian Church organized two years later. In 1909, the site at the southeast corner of Hemphill St. and Allen Ave. was purchased. The earliest part of the building was built in 1911, and it opened as the Hemphill Presbyterian Church. In 1922, the church expanded the building. However, the church was growing at a rapid pace, and in 1926, the current sanctuary was constructed. It is the most architecturally significant of the complex. It was designed by Sanguinet & Staats in Classical style with a pedimented portico on a raised first floor. The building is clad in red brick with cast stone trim. Smaller additions were built in 1951 and 1960, respectively. Due to declining membership, Hemphill Presbyterian merged into other churches. Hope Works Fellowship is the congregation currently in the building.
Photograph provided by Rene Gomez.