Lily B. Clayton Elementary School
2100 Park Place - 1922; 1924; 1938; 1989; 2003 (CFW)
When Mistletoe Heights Elementary School opened in 1922, it was very small, clad in pink brick, and consisted of what is now the southwestern corner of the building. That portion of the building was designed by Wiley G. Clarkson and constructed by Harry B. Friedman. Shortly after the school opened, it was renamed for Lily B. Clayton, a teacher at the old Central High School, which is now Paschal High. Four classrooms were added in 1924. In 1938, the two story wings on the south and east sides of the building were added as a part of the Works Progress Administration. At this time, the front facade of the original building was clad in matching yellow and orange brick. The 1938 addition consisted of six classrooms, a library, kindergarten room with a fish pond, cafeteria, and an auditorium. In addition to the yellow and orange brick, this addition included a clay tile roof and panels depicting Mother Goose rhymes. The grounds were also landscaped as a part of the W.P.A. program. A freestanding gymnasium was constructed in 1989. In 2003, a 2 story, 14 classroom addition was built that connected the east wing with the gymnasium on the west. It was designed by Hahnfeld, Hoffer, Stanford Architects and is compatible with the earlier building and the additions; however, it necessitated alterations to the historic landscape plan.