William Capps donated the land to the City of Fort Worth for Capps Park in 1910. The shelter was constructed in 1929 and was designed by architect Wilford S. Bogue. The shelter is a rectangular raised platform clad in Palo Pinto County sandstone. There are stairs on the center of the north and south sides. Each end of the shelter consists of a pergola supported by four sandstone piers. Originally, the shelter had a basement with storage and dressing rooms. That area has been closed off for many years. In 1981, the concrete floor, stairs, and pergola trellis were reconstructed. In 2011, the shelter was designated as a Historic and Cultural Landmark.