Architecture in Fort Worth

 

Swift & Co. Office Building

600 E. Exchange Ave. - 1902; restored 2007 (NRHD, RTHL, CFWHD, FWHSE)

 

The office buildings of both Swift and Armour sat across the street from each other on Exchange Avenue.  The two and a half story building, once housing the executive offices of Swift and Co. remains as the only fully intact building left at the meatpacking plant.  It was constructed from Acme Brick's Millsap Plant.  The first and second floors are surrounded by wood framed porches on the north, west, and south sides with Tuscan columns.  Regularly spaced segmented arched windows adorn the facades.  The third floor is tucked into the roof and features large dormer windows for natural light.  Additions have been made to the rear of the building.  Swift shut down the plant in 1971, and in 1976, the building was occupied by Spaghetti Warehouse as a restaurant.  After the restaurant shut down in 2003, the building was purchased in 2006 and restored by XTO Energy.  It now serves as office space for the company. The remainder of the meatpacking plant is partially demolished and is in ruins.

Building Descriptions for the Swift Plant Ruins

 

 



2002 Photo
Spaghetti Warehouse

2014 Photo
Swift Office Building