Sam Rosen Elementary School
2613 Roosevelt Ave. - 1927
In 1909, the Rosen Heights School District constructed an elementary school building on this site. That building was designed by M.L. Waller. The school was named for Sam Rosen, who developed the Rosen Heights area after the Stock Yards opened in 1902. In 1922, the Rosen Heights School District was annexed into the Fort Worth Independent School District. In 1926, the School Board voted to construct a major addition to the school because enrollment had more than doubled. Wiley G. Clarkson was hired to design the addition. Clarkson chose to construct a separate building, rather than add on to the original structure. The contractor for the project was K.H. Muse. The 1927 building is two stories and is "T" shaped. The styling of the building is Spanish Baroque and the entrance is marked by a portico with more Baroque detailing. The building's facade consists of brown brick with cast stone details, with a red clay tile hipped roof. In 1988, a major addition was made to the 1927 building and the 1909 structure was demolished.