The Fort Worth Independent School District constructed this building as the city's second high school in 1918. It was designed by Sanguinet & Staats and was built by J.C. Buchanon. The three story red brick building uses cast stone trim and orange terra cotta to emphasize the horizontal massing. Like many of the other Fort Worth high schools, it sits on a hilltop and has a commanding view of the Fort Worth skyline. In 1935, landscaping and a terrace with a fountain, 3 cast stone lions, and a sandstone retaining wall were added to the site as a Works Progress Administration Project. This stone wall is located on Park Street, immediately in front of the school building. In 1937, the school moved to a larger campus and became North Side High School. The school district converted the building into a technical high school in 1939 and made some interior modifications. The architect for this work was Preston M. Geren. In 1955, the technical high school moved to the former location of Paschal High School, built in 1918, on the city's South Side and was renamed Green B. Trimble Technical High School. At that time, the building became an annex to J.P. Elder Junior High School (1927), which is located directly behind this building, and more interior renovations were made under Clyde H. Woodruff. In 1991, J.P. Elder's main building was renovated and this building was closed and slated for demolition. The preservation community fought to save this building, and they did. In 1998, Arthur Weinman Architects restored the building, and it was integrated back into the J.P. Elder complex as an annex building. It is the only functioning school building in the city that is individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The restoration received awards from the American Institute of Architects Fort Worth, the Texas Historical Commission, and Historic Fort Worth, Inc.