Horse & Mule Barns
122-24 E. Exchange Ave. - 1911 (NR)
These buildings were constructed by the Fort Worth Stock Yards Co. to serve the growing stock yard industry in Fort Worth shortly after the turn of the Twentieth Century. The structures were designed by Klipstein & Rathmann and built by James Stewart and Co. Three sides of the barn buildings are constructed with red brick with the side facing Exchange Avenue sheathed in tan stucco with a very heavy texture. This finish complements the Livestock Exchange and Cowtown Coliseum Buildings across the street. Between the two buildings, the facades have Mission Style parapets that offer some ornamentation on a relatively bland side facade. The space between the two buildings is called Mule Alley and is framed by identical two story towers with red tile pyramid roofs. Spanning between the towers is a pitched roof bridge, also clad with red tile. Along the Exchange Street facade is a red tile and scalloped cornice. The buildings are constructed with concrete and had a capacity of 3000 animals. The barns were used as exhibition barns when the Stock Show was at the Coliseum. They are still used as stables for rodeo events at the facility and now also function as warehouse and retail space.