Googins Commercial Block
1535-49 N. Main St. - c.1911 (FWHSE)
Joseph B. Googins, a North Side developer and businessman, constructed this building around 1911 at the southwest corner of North Main and NW 20th Streets. From observation on the exterior and from aerial photographs, this building was probably constructed at several different times. Early tenants included an electrician, barber, tailor, milliner, sewing machine shop, and doctor's offices and apartments upstairs. The building features decorative brickwork on the parapet and a cornice with an arcade in projecting brick. The building is trimmed out with cast stone. Over the last few years, a local North Side businesswoman purchased the building and has restored it, including rebuilding the storefronts on the ground floor.