The first cattle pens were built with the Livestock Exchange Building and the Swift and Armour Meatpacking Plants. The earliest dates of construction go to about 1902. The pens are made out of wood, but the corner posts are poured in place concrete. These posts are similar in design to the boundary posts found throughout the area. The floors of the pens are paved with Thurber brick.