This wonderful retail building was constructed around 1929 at the merger of S. Henderson & 5th Ave. at Pennsylvania Avenue. One of the main street car lines through the South Side split at this intersection, yielding a sweeping corner. The designer of this retail building took advantage of the intersection and produced a design with a curved facade. The building is clad with cast stone on its front facades and red brick on its sides. The freize of the building features both Gothic and Art Deco elements with the parapet that undulates. The parking lot of this structure is paved in brick. The building was designed by Wyatt C. Hedrick. It is also similar in design to a shopping center located at 3204 Camp Bowie Blvd., probably designed by Hedrick's firm. Alexander-Bale Co. had their original store at the Camp Bowie address, and they opened up another location within this building. A few years later, the company purchased the Helpy Selfy Stores, and this location changed its name. Both structures were the homes of Refro Drug Stores, a local drug store chain from the early 20th Century. Later, a Worth Food Mart occupied the structure. The building was purchased in 1982 by Harris Methodist Hospital and now serves as offices for the hospital's security operations.
From UTA Libraries Digital Galleries:
1941 Photograph of Building