Eagle Steam Bread Bakery
665 S. Main St. - c.1895; c.1907
This building was built for the Eagle Steam Bread Factory, and at one time was one of the largest bakeries in the State of Texas. The building was expanded around 1907 and documentation indicates the architect was L.B. Weinman. After 1920, the bakery changed its name to the Doherty Baking Co. William Doherty was the founder of the company. The building is red brick with string courses and a corbelled parapet. The brick piers project above the parapet at irregular intervals. Currently, the building is vacant, but in years past, the ground floor was retail and the second floor contained apartments.