In 1950, the Fort Worth City Council sold $800,000 in bonds to build a children's museum and an art museum on the West Side of the Will Rogers Complex. Architect Herbert Bayer designed the building for the Fort Worth Art Center. It opened in 1954. In 1966, the William Edrington Scott Theater opened adjacent to the museum. The museum continued to grow and required another addition in 1974. This addition added gallery space on the east and south sides of the building. It was designed by O'Neill Ford and Associates. At that time, the museum changed its name to the Fort Worth Art Museum. In 1987, the musuem change names again to the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth. By 1996, the museum had outgrown the building and purchased another property to build their new home. In 2002, the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth opened a new building in Fort Worth's Cultural District. At that time, the current building became the home of the Fort Worth Community Arts Center, a center for all of the community.